Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

New Fall Diaper Bag

 Say hello to Sophia's new diaper bag!  Over labor Day I picked up some very pretty fabric from a local boutique in Savannah.  With this beautiful new fabric I decided to make a handbag, but I have never made one before-what if I mess up and waste fabric?  The solution?  Make a practice one.  As Sophia's old diaper bag was a little worse for wear I used some of my fabric in stock and made her a new one.  I definitely like the style but I think I will make it a bit deeper.  The width is great and I love the one strap-it is very comfortable on my shoulder. 
 It has enough room for a paper book, my diaper clutch (pattern coming soon) 3 extra diapers, plastic bag with stuff (medicine, spoons, bibs, pacifiers, etc) and extra lovie.  I could probably fit my phone, wallet and keys in a pinch.  Has a button on the inside to keep things closed plus keeps my 18 month old out. 

I used duck cloth for lining and strengthening the outside fabric on the bag and two layers of stiff interfacing at the top and one layer of interfacing for the strap.

The pattern is free and found here.  I widened the bag by 5 inches but left the top of the bag the same and used only one strap instead of two.

Happy bag making!

1 comment: